:!: Upon user registration, your account will be manually qualified by a member of the team. Unfortunately, this may take a few days. However, the process keeps the information here relevant and spam free so we thank you for your patients. You will be emailed once your account is ready to go.

Mounting solar panels on steel roof

Solar Photovoltaic (PV) uses energy from the sun to create electricity to run appliances and lighting. PV requires only daylight, not direct sunlight, to generate electricity.
Whisper

Mounting solar panels on steel roof

Postby Whisper » 31 Dec 2016, 14:14

I would like to mount some solar panels on the roof of my cabin and I'm a little concerned about leaking at the mounting points. It's a standing seam metal roof, 12/12 pitch with the ridge beam running north and south. The panels would face perpendicular to the ridge. How would I weather proof the penetrations? The inside of the cabin has not been finished and it is easy to get to the underside of the roof if that helps.

Thanks for any help.

John2Build

Re: Mounting solar panels on steel roof

Postby John2Build » 02 Jan 2017, 02:39

Not sure with that steep of a pitch. On a lower pitch (6/12) we've used some small metal ..ummm.. not sure what to call them. They're like miniature roof jacks for plumbing vents. Fit very tightly around a 5/8" bolt and then has a metal shield that gets attached to the metal.

Whisper

Postby Whisper » 03 Jan 2017, 20:45

How do you attach the metal shield to the roof and do you use any sealant between the two surfaces? I'm picturing a little witches hat with a bolt protruding out of the top, am I close? The panels would be mounted to a frame that would be supported by four legs on the roof, two on each side of the ridge.
Thanks for your reply,

Jayfray

Postby Jayfray » 10 Jan 2017, 20:54

Tough problem on a metal roof. A lot depends on the shape of the legs. Maybe some sort of pitch pocket made of the same metal as the roof, set in a non-hardening (maybe butyl) sealant and bolted to the roof with the same bolts that will bolt the leg, assuming the leg will have a base plate. Then fill the pitch pockets with roofing pitch.

John2Build

Postby John2Build » 10 Jan 2017, 21:02

The ones we used had a flexible metal base which we siliconed (Titanium EDL) to the metal roof with the same roofing screws we used to install the roofing. We thought about a small cricket above the flashing but thought it would be just more holes in the roof. The rubber boot that extends up the bolt goes maybe 3" or so.

Return to “Solar Electricity”